Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Warm your bones chili

Growing up chili was always one of my favorite meals. I reminisce about those cold days coming home to a meaty aroma that filled the air. Now that I am older I appreciate a spicier version of my mom's recipe. The biggest taboo about chili is that it must take more than a couple of hours to make. This is not the case. For mine I start with some oil or fat such as butter or bacon fat (when I feel like being a little bad) then sauté one onion and one bell pepper, after they have cooked down and begun to soften I then add my 3 cloves of garlic and my chilis. For the chilis, I only half them, I used to chop them until I figured out you lose a lot of the flavor and spice. Just throw the whole thing in! Once all of your veggies are cooked down you add your protein typically I use ground turkey for mine to keep it on the healthier side. A mixture of ground beef and Italian sausage will do as well. After you add the meat begin to add your seasoning. I add chili powder, ancho chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, a few taps of wochstecher, and a dash of Tabasco. I like it spicy. Once the meat is browned then I add one 8 oz can of diced tomatoes and one 16 oz can of tomato sauce. I am not a huge bean person so I prefer to leave the beans out. Once the tomato sauce is I. I like to add a good bottle of beer prefferebly a bottle of ale, I like the way the flavor melds with the other flavors in the pot. If the chili is too watery I add a can of tomato paste to thicken it up. Once you have everything in the pan, cover it up and let it simmer for 45 minutes and serve with a dollop of sour cream and a handful of shredded cheese and enjoy. :)


1 brown onion
1 green bell pepper
3 cloves of garlic
3 Serrano chilis halved
1.5 pounds of ground meat of your choice
1 tbs. of chili powder
1 tbs. of ancho chili powder
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt/pepper to taste
1tbs. Wochstecher sauce
1 tsp. Tabasco
8 oz. diced tomatoes
16 oz. tomatoe sauce
1 pint of ale beer
1 can of tomato paste


No comments:

Post a Comment